Sunday 1 March 2015

Maplins Robot Arm With XBOX 360 Wireless Controller Mod




Maplins Robot Arms - USB Controlled to build yourself. Lifts 2Lbs


This weekend I decided to have some fun with my boys; Adam aged 7 and Oliver aged 5. I purchased the Robotic Arm Kit with USB PC Interface from Maplins (UK) and decided I would teach the boys about stepper motors, controller interfaces and basic electronics.

It was great fun building it with the kids, it took about 3 hours to construct and no soldering was required. We tested it with the supplied software but we decided to re-map it to a XBOX 360 Wireless Controller for more intuitive control. 

We have made a short video with a demonstration below;


In our next project with the Robot Arm we are going to implement a Raspberry Pi2 and camera module to enable object tracking to make the arm autonomous and look for things to pick up. This will be a series of posts from my Son Adam and I to see what we can achieve and learn with the Robot Arm.

Thanks for reading :-)

Man Cave Modder


★------ CONNECT WITH ME ------★
► Visit my Blog: goo.gl/gTssW9
► Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ManCaveModder
► Connect on Google+: goo.gl/cORrE0
► SUBSCRIBE Please: goo.gl/gfupuC

1 comment:

  1. This weekend I decided to have some fun with my boys; Adam aged 7 and Oliver aged 5. I purchased the Robotic Arm Kit with USB PC ... irobotarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete